Today’s post is a weird mashup of my Friday Fare feature and the 30-day writing challenge I’ve been participating in during the month of November.
Normally, I wouldn’t make things so complicated, but I’ve read some cool stuff this week that I want to share. So, without further ado, here are the articles / vids that made me a better person this week:
- I’m not going to lie; this video of Fred Rogers made me weep. I’m glad that I grew up in a world where Mr. Rogers’ kindness shaped my childhood.
- Color me shocked as hell, there’s supposedly a link between coffee consumption and creativity. (sigh)
- This article, about the nuances of “Midwestern nice,” just killed me.
- The Dixie Chicks covered Lana del Rey’s “Video Games” and as you can imagine, it was beautiful.
- Speaking of things that I’ve been listening to, I discovered this song on my borscht trip to St. Paul.
- I recently downloaded a copy of Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Big Magic” and wow. I’m already thinking about getting a hard copy so I can highlight the pertinent pages and go back and read her words over and over again. Living a creative life is scary – Ms. Gilbert is trying to give people the tools to get beyond the fear and capture the magic.
6. Someone who fascinates you and why.
Wow – this is another one I’d love to skip. I actually scrolled through Facebook to see if this person is anyone that I already know. I thought of a couple authors that I enjoy (J.K. Rowling, J.T. Ellison, Stephen King, Deborah Harkness). And then it hit me: For someone who does not watch television anymore, I know way too much about what is going on with the Kardashians and the Duggar family because I read too much celebrity gossip. Why do these families fascinate me? I think that old adage about not being able to avert ones eyes from a train wreck comes to mind …