My gratitude list (in no particular order):
1) Grateful for the fact I’ve worked from home for the past 9 years and don’t have as steep of a learning curve as others who are getting used to a new normal.
2) Fantastic co-workers – I’m on a text string with two people I work with directly and I’m grateful to be part of a trio of working moms who are KILLING IT when it comes to our work life. Also, I unexpectedly got an email from a co-worker the other day that had some resources for keeping my kids occupied. It was so unexpected and so kind that I nearly cried.
3) My immediate family. My husband started working from home this week and took over my home office. So he helped me set up a new one in our spare bedroom. Our kids are also taking all of this isolation like little champs. I literally couldn’t do this without the three guys in my life.
4) The real MVPs of our world right now – emergency workers, medical personnel/scientists, and (yes) grocery store workers. (I know that I’m probably missing people, but those are the three that come to mind.)
5) Technology … so far I’ve had a happy hour via Google Hangouts and attended my son’s piano lesson via Zoom. It’s been a great tool in these weird times.
Great writers on the power of music … I believe this, absolutely.
The deep metaphorical power of a good cup of coffee … and this is gospel, too.
Daniel Craig in GQ … read for the article, stay for the photos.
The amazing Cheryl Head wrote a fantastic piece about the evolution and the future of the private investigator in fiction. She even mentions my favorite PI Cass Raines.
And something I made last weekend – Stewed Lentils & Tomatoes. I’ve really appreciated how cooks/chefs have been devoting social media posts, etc., to foods that use everyday pantry items. I made this and it was delicious. (+ it is by my queen Ina Garten.)
Listening: This song always reminds me of Iowa gravel roads. Specifically driven in a pickup truck.
Reading: I keep harping on shopping local. I try to practice what I preach:
Writing Life: I got some FANTASTIC news this week that the Peter Lovesey contest was extended to June 1st. I was ready to hit the April 1st deadline, but man – this was welcome in my new world.
Call someone you love. Be kind to everyone you meet. Wash your darn hands. – Shelley
What is Friday Fare? As a recap, on Fridays I post link love to the various bits of arcane shiz I discover on the Interwebs. I liken it to a glimpse into my mind, but without the 80s song lyrics or mental cobwebs.